Recommended Readings & Outlines
Below is a list of readings recommended by lecturers. The list will continue to expand as we receive further suggestions.
The following lists readings specific to the topic of the arbitrator’s prespective, it is followed by several general sources.
- Bennett, Fred and Hunter, Martin, The Arbitrator's Perspective: an Interview with Martin Hunter in Arbitration Trends (Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Hedges, LLP 2010)
- Berg, Albert Jan van den, Dissenting Opinions by Party-Appointed Arbitrators in Investment Arbitration in Mahnoush Arsanjani et al. (eds.), Looking to the Future: Essays on International Law in Honor of W. Michael Reisman (Brill 2010)
- Berg, Albert Jan van den, The Future – What Will Change? Round Table Discussion in Albert Jan van den Berg (ed.), Arbitration: The Next Fifty Years, 16 ICCA Congress Series 181-215 2012
- Böckstiegel, Karl-Heinz, An Arbitrator’s Perspective of BITs and their Relation to Other International Law Obligations (Paper given at the Conference "50 Years of Bilateral Investment Treaties – Taking Stock and Look to the Future", Frankfurt, 1 – 3 December 2009)
- Böckstiegel, Karl-Heinz, Party Autonomy and Case Management — Experiences and Suggestions of an Arbitrator, 11(1) Schieds 1-5 2013
- Böckstiegel, Karl-Heinz, The Role of the Arbitrators in Investment Treaty Arbitration in Albert Jan van den Berg (ed.), International Commercial Arbitration: Important Contemporary Questions, 11 ICCA Congress Series 366-375 2003
- Born, Gary, Form and Contents of International Arbitral Awards - D. Majority Awards and Awards by Presiding Arbitrator in Gary B. Born, International Commercial Arbitration (Kluwer Law International 2009), 2459 – 2463
- Born, Gary, Rights and Duties of International Arbitrators in Gary B. Born, International Commercial Arbitration (Kluwer Law International 2009), 1605-1615
- Brower, Charles N. and Sharpe, Jeremy, The Creeping Codification of Transnational Commercial Law: An Arbitrator's Perspective, 45 Univ. Va. J Int'l L (Fall) 199 (2004)
- Brower, Charles N. and Rosenberg, Charles B. , The Death of the Two-Headed Nightingale: Why the Paulsson–van den Berg Presumption that Party-Appointed Arbitrators are Untrustworthy is Wrongheaded, 29(1) Arbitration International 7-44 (2013)
- Brower, Charles N., Present Expectations and Realities – Comments from the Perspective of an Arbitrator in Albert Jan van den Berg (ed.), 50 Years of the New York Convention: ICCA International Arbitration Conference, 14 ICCA Congress Series 75-81 2009 (Kluwer Law International 2009)
- Camerer, Véronique and Hioureas, Christina G., Glamis Gold Ltd. v. United States: A Case Study on Document Production and Privilege in International Arbitration, 2(3) WAMR 2008
- Daele, Karel (ed), Challenge and Disqualification of Arbitrators in International Arbitration (Kluwer Law International 2012)
- EL-Kosheri, Ahmed S. and Youssef, Karim Y., The Independence of International Arbitrators: An Arbitrator's Perspective in Independence of Arbitrators, ICC Bulletin Special Supplement (2007)
- Horvath, Günther J., Guerrilla Tactics in Arbitration, an Ethical Battle: Is There Need for a Universal Code of Ethics? in Christian Klausegger, Peter Klein, et al. (eds.), Austrian Yearbook on International Arbitration 297-313 2011 (Manz'sche Verlags- und Universitätsbuchhandlung 2011)
- Kantor, Mark, Chapter 10: What Can the Careful Arbitrator Do? in Mark Kantor, Valuation for Arbitration (Kluwer Law International 2008), 279-314
- Kaufmann-Kohler, Gabrielle and Bonnin, Victor, Arbitrators as Conciliators: A Statistical Study of the Relation between an Arbitrator’s Role and Legal Background, 18(2) ICC Bulletin (2008)
- Lalive, Pierre, Q&A with Professor Pierre Lalive, 3(5) Global Arbitration Review (2008)
- Landau QC, Toby T., Luncheon Address: Advocacy in International Arbitration, 5(4) WAMR 2011
- Newman, Lawrence W. and Hill, Richard et al. (eds.), The Leading Arbitrators’ Guide to International Arbitration (JurisPublishing 2008)
- O'Reilly, Michael, Orders for Security for Costs: From the Arbitrator's Perspective, 61(4) Arbitration 1995
- Park, William W., Arbitrators and Accuracy, 1(1) Journal of International Dispute Settlement 25 (2010)
- Paulsson, Jan, Moral Hazard in International Dispute Resolution (Inaugural Lecture as holder of Michael R. Klein Distinguished Scholar Chair, University of Miami School of Law, 29 April 2010)
- Perry, Sebastian, Third-party Funding: an Arbitrator's Perspective, Global Arbitration Review (Nov. 23, 2011)
- Peters, Philipp, Presiding Arbitrator, Deciding Arbitrator: Decision-Making in Christian Klausegger, Peter Klein, et al. (eds.), Austrian Yearbook on International Arbitration 129-160 2011 (Manz'sche Verlags- und Universitätsbuchhandlung 2011)
- Peterson, Luke, Amici Can’t Access More Info Than Public, IAR
- Reed, Lucy, Arbitral Decision-Making: Art, Science or Sport? (Kaplan Lecture 2012, Hong Kong, 2 December 2012)
- Ross, Alison, What goes on in arbitrator deliberations?, Global Arbitration Review (May 29, 2013)
- Schneider, Michael E., President's Message: The Role of Experts in the Adversarial Process and the Arbitrator's Capacity to Absorb Specialised Knowledge, 31(1) ASA Bulletin 1-3 2013
- Weiler, Todd et al. (eds.), Investment Treaty Arbitration and International Law (JurisNet 2008)
- Ziadé, Nassib G., Recent Trends in International Investment Treaty Law: Introductory Remarks and Remarks, 105 Am. Soc'y Int'l L. Proc. 325 (2011)
Some recommended general sources include:
- Rudolf Dolzer and Christoph Schreuer, Principles of International Investment Law (Oxford University Press, 2012).
- R. Doak Bishop, James Crawford, W. Michael Reisman, Foreign Investment Disputes, Cases Materials and Commentary (Kluwer, 2005).
- Campbell McLachlan, Laurence Shore, Matthew Weiniger, International Investment Arbitration (Oxford University Press, 2007).
- Emmanuel Gaillard, La Jurisprudence du CIRDI Volume 1 (2004) et Volume 2 (2010), (Pedone, 2004 and 2010).
- Peter Muchlinski, Federico Ortino, Christoph Schreuer (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of International Investment Law (Oxford University Press, 2008).
- Christoph H. Schreuer, Loretta Malintoppi, August Reinisch, Anthony Sinclair, The ICSID Convention: A Commentary 2d edition (Cambridge University Press, 2009).
- Zacchary Douglas, The International Law of Investment Claims (Cambridge University Press, 2009).
North America: United States and Canada
- Supreme Court of the United States, 09-893 U.S. Reports 1 (2010), AT&T Mobility LLC v. Concepcion et ux.
- Supreme Court of the United States, 12-133 570 U.S. ___ (2013), American Express Co., et al. v. Italian Colors Restaurant et al
- Supreme Court of Canada, Seidel v. TELUS Communications Inc., 2011 SCC 15,  1 S.C.R. 531.
- European Court of Justice, Judgment of the Court (First Chamber) of 26 October 2006, Elisa María Mostaza Claro v Centro Móvil Milenium SL., Case C-168/05.
- European Court of Justice, Opinion Of Advocate General Tizzano delivered on 27 April 2006, Elisa María Mostaza Claro v Centro Móvil Milenium SL., Case C-168/05.
- European Court of Justice, Judgment of the Court (First Chamber) of 6 October 2009, Asturcom Telecomunicaciones SL v Cristina Rodríguez Nogueira, Case C-40/08.
- European Court of Justice, Opinion Of Advocate General Trstenjak delivered on 14 May 2009, Asturcom Telecomunicaciones SL v Cristina Rodríguez Nogueira, Case C-40/08.
Treaties and Conventions
ICSID Awards and Decisions
- El Paso Energy International Company v. Argentine Republic (ICSID Case No. ARB/03/15), Award, October 31, 2011.
- Tidewater Inc. and others v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela (ICSID Case No. ARB/10/5).
- Jan de Nul N.V. and Dredging International N.V. v. Arab Republic of Egypt (ICSID Case No. ARB/04/13), Award, November 6, 2008.
- Gustav F W Hamester GmbH & Co KG v. Republic of Ghana (ICSID Case No. ARB/07/24).
- Pac Rim Cayman LLC v. Republic of El Salvador (ICSID Case No. ARB/09/12), Decision on Jurisdiction, June 01, 2012.
- Electrabel S.A. v. Republic of Hungary, ICSID Case No. ARB/07/19, Decision on Jurisdiction, Applicable Law and Liability, November 30, 2012.
- Phoenix Action, Ltd. v. The Czech Republic, ICSID Case No. ARB/06/5, Award, April 15, 2009.
- Mobil Corporation, & al v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, ICSID Case No. ARB/07/27, Decision on Jurisdiction, June 10, 2010.
UN Report and Resolution
- Guiding Principles applicable to unilateral declarations of States capable of creating legal obligations, 2006, ILC Report, A/61/10.
- ILC Articles on the Responsibility of States, UN General Assembly, Resolution 56/83 of 12 December 2001.
- ROBERT M. LAWLESS, JENNIFER K. ROBBENNOLT & THOMAS S. ULEN, EMPIRICAL METHODS IN LAW (2010) Chapters 2 and 9 only. The authors and publishers have agreed to make these two chapters available to students free of charge.
- EARL BABBIE, THE BASICS OF SOCIAL RESEARCH (4th ed. 2008) Chapter 1.
- Susan D. Franck, Empiricism and International Law: Insights for Investment Treaty Dispute Resolution, 48 Virginia Journal of International Law 767, (2008).
- Susan D. Franck, Empirically Evaluating Claims about Investment Treaty Arbitration, 86 North Carolina Law Review 1 (2007).
- Susan D. Franck, Development and Outcomes of Investment Treaty Arbitration, 50 Harvard International Law Journal 435 (2009).
- Jose Augusto Fontoura Costa, Comparing WTO Panelists and ICSID Arbitrators: The Creation of International Legal Fields, Oñati Socio-Legal Series, Vol. 1, No. 4, (2011).
- Ole K. Fauchald, The Legal Reasoning of ICSID Tribunals—An Empirical Analysis, 19 European Journal of International Law 301 (2008).
- Susan D. Franck, Rationalizing Costs in Investment Treaty Arbitration, 88 Washington University Law Review 769 (2011).
- Susan D. Franck, The ICSID Effect? Considering Potential Variations in Arbitration Awards, 51 Virginia Journal of International Law 825 (2011).
- Susan D. Franck, Book Review: The Public International Law Regime Governing International Investment, by Jose E. Alvarez, The Hague: Hague Academy of International Law, 2011, pp. 502, 106 American Journal of International Law 890 (2012).
- Susan D. Franck, Empirical Modalities: Lessons for the Future of International Investment, 105 American Society of International Law Proceedings 33 (2010).
- Kathleen S. McArthur & Pablo A. Ormachea, International Investor-State Arbitration: An Empirical Analysis of ICSID Decisions on Jurisdiction, 28 Review of Litigation 559 (2009).
- Michael D. Ramsey, The Empirical Dilemma of International Law, 41 San Diego Law Review 1243 (2004).
- Gregory Shaffer & Tom Ginsburg, The Empirical Turn in International Legal Scholarship, 106 American Journal of International Law 1 (2012).
- Beth A. Simmons & Andrew B. Breidenbach, The Empirical Turn in International Economic Law, 20 Minnesota Journal of International Law 198 (2011).
- Cassie Mogilner, The Pursuit of Happiness : Time, Money, and Social Connection, Psychological Science, Vol. 21, No. 9, pp. 1348-1354, 2010.
- Bryant Garth & Yves Dezalay, Dealing in Virtue: International Commercial Arbitration and the Construction of a Transnational Legal Order (1996).
- ICSID, The ICSID Caseload – Statistics (2013).
- ICSID, The ICSID Caseload – Statistics (2012).
- United Nations Conference on Development, Recent Developments in Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS), IIA Issues Note No. 1, May 2013.
- United Nations Conference on Development, Latest Developments in Investor-State Dispute Settlement, IIA Issues Note No. 1, April 2012.
PART I: NON-US COURT DECISIONS and AWARDS
- France, Cour de Cassation, Chambre civile 1, du 20 décembre 1993, 91-16.828, Publié au bulletin, Dalico Contractors cl Municipalite de Khoms el Mergeb, 20 décembre 1993.
- France, Cour d’appel de Paris, 17 février 2011, Gouvernement du Pakistan c. Société Dallah Real Estate and Tourism Holding Company.
- United Kingdom, Supreme Court, Dallah Real Estate and Tourism Holding Company v The Ministry of Religious Affairs, Government of Pakistan  UKSC 46 (03 November 2010).
- Switzerland, Federal Tribunal, 121 III 38, Decision of 1st Civil Chamber of 16 January 1995, Compagnie de Navigation et Transports SA v. MSC Mediterranean Shipping Company SA (French version).
- Switzerland, Federal Tribunal, No. 29, Insurance Company v. Reinsurance Company, 5C.215/1994/lit, 21 March 1995.
- United Kingdom, England and Wales High Court (Commercial Court) Decisions, Arsanovia Ltd & Ors v Cruz City 1 Mauritius Holdings  EWHC 3702 (Comm) (20 December 2012).
- United Kingdom, England and Wales Court of Appeal (Civil Division), Sulamerica CIA Nacional De Seguros SA & Ors v Enesa Engenharia SA & Ors  EWCA Civ 638 (16 May 2012).
- United Kingdom, England and Wales Court of Appeal (Civil Division), Fiona Trust & Holding Corporation & Ors v Yuri Privalov & Ors  EWCA Civ 20 (24 January 2007).
- United Kingdom, England and Wales, High Court of Justice, Harbour Assurance Co. Ltd. V. Kansa General International Insurance Co. Ltd.,  1 Lloyd's L.Rep. 81., July 31, 1991.
- All-Union Foreign Trade Association "Sojuznefteexport" v Joc Oil Limited, Award, ICAC Case No. 109/1980, 9 July 1984.
- India, Supreme Court of India, National Thermal Power Corporation v. The Singer Company, and Others, Supreme Court, 1978, 7 May 1992.
PART II: US COURT DECISIONS
- United States, Supreme Court, Prima Paint Corp. v. Flood & Conklin Mfg. Co., 388 U.S. 395 (1967) ; 87 S. Ct. 1801; 18 L. Ed. 2d 1270; 1967 US. LEXIS 2750, June 12, 1967.
- United States, Supreme Court, First Options of Chicago, Inc. v. Kaplan et Ux. and MK Investments, INC., 514 U.S. 938 (1995), May 22,1995.
- United States, Supreme Court, Buckeye Check Cashing, Inc. v. Cardegna, 546 U.S.__ (2006), February 21, 2006.
- United States, Supreme Court, Rent-A-Center, West, Inc. v. Jackson, 561 U.S. ___ (2010), June 21, 2010.
- United States, Supreme Court, Stolt-Nielsen S. A. v. AnimalFeeds Int’l Corp., 559 U.S. __(2010), April 27, 2010.
- United States, Supreme Court, Granite Rock Co. v. Teamsters et al., 561 U.S. __ (2010), June 24, 2010.
- United States District Court For The District of New Jersey, the Republic of the Philippines and National Power Corporation v. Westinghouse Electric Corporation, Westinghouse International Projects Company, and Burns and Roe Enterprises, Inc., 714F. Supp. 1362, May 18, 1989.
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, China Minmetals Materials Import and Export CO., LTD. v. Chi Mei Corporation, 334 F.3d 274, June 26, 2003.
- United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, Republic of Argentina v. BG Group PLC, 665 F.3d 1363, January 17, 2012.
- United States, Supreme Court, BG Group PLC v. Republic of Argentina, Brief For The United States As Amicus Curiae, May 10, 2013.
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, Republic of Nicaragua v. Standard Fruit Company, 937 F.2d 469, July 1, 1991.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, International Paper Company v. Schwabedissen Maschinen & Anlagen GMBH, 206 F.3d 411, March 14, 2000.
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, Karaha Bodas Co., L.l.c., Plaintiff-appellee, v. Perusahaan Pertambangan Minyak Dan Gas Bumi Negara et al., 364 F.3d 274, March 23, 2004.
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, Bridas S.a.p.i.c.; Bridas Energy International, Ltd.; Intercontinental Oil & Gas Ventures, Ltd.; Bridas Corporation, Plaintiffs-appellees, v. Government of Turkmenistan et al., 345 F.3d 347, September 9, 2003.
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, Bridas S.a.p.i.c., Bridas Energy International, Ltd., Intercontinental Oil and Gas Ventures, Ltd., and Bridas Corp., Plaintiffs-appellants, v. Government of Turkmenistan, Concern Balkannebitgazsenagat and State Concern Turkmenneft, 447 F.3d 411, April 21, 2006.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, Sandvik Ab,v.advent International Corp; Advent International Gmbh; Global Private Equity Iii L.p.; Global Private Equity Iii-a L.p.; Global Private Equity Iii-b L.p.; Advent Pggm Global L.p.; Advent Partners Gpe-iii Lp; Advent Partners (na) Gpe-iii L.p.; Advent Euro-italian Direct Investment Program L.p.; Advent European Co-investment Program L.p.; Advent Partners L.p.; Ralf Huep; Global Private Equity Iii-c L.p.advent International Corp.; Global Private Equity Iii L.p.; Global Private Equity Iii-a L.p.; Global Private Equity Iii-b L.p.; Advent Pggm Global L.p.; Advent Partners Gpe-iii Lp; Advent Partners (na) Gpe-iii L.p.; Advent Euro-italian Direct Investment Program; Advent European Co-investment Program L.p.; Advent Partners L.p. Global Private Equity Iii-c L.p., 220 F.3d 99, July 21, 2000.
- United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit, Apollo Computer, Inc., Plaintiff, Appellant, v. Helge Berg, et al., 886 F.2d 469, September 28, 1989.
- United States District Court, S.D. New York, Global Gold Mining, LLC v.Peter M. ROBINSON, et al., 533 F.Supp.2d 442, February 6, 2008.
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, Schneider AG v. Kingdom of Thailand, Docket No. 11–1458–cv., August 08, 2012.
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, Contec Corporation v. Remote Solution Co., Ltd., 398 F.3d 205, February 14, 2005.
- United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit, M. Sylvain Ledee, et al., v. Ceramiche Ragno, et al., 684 F.2d 184, August 4, 1982.
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, Rhone Mediterranee Compagnia Francese Di Assicurazioni Eriassicurazoni v. Achille Lauro, D/b/a Achille Lauro Armatore, A/k/a Achillelauro, D/b/a Flotta Lauro, A/k/a Achille Lauro,d/b/a Lauro Lines, X Company and Antonioscotto Di Carlo, 712 F.2d 50, July 6, 1983.
- United States Court Of Appeals For The Second Circuit, Kahn Lucas Lancaster, Inc. v. Lark International Ltd., 186 F.3d 210, July 29, 1999.
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, Sphere Drake Insurance PLC v. Marine Towing, Inc., 6 F.3d 666, March 23, 1994.
PART III: ARBITRAL AWARDS
- Elf Aquitaine Iran v. National Iranian Oil Company, Ad-Hoc Award of January 14, 1982.
- International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce, Parties from Brazil, Panama and U.S.A. v Party from Brazil, Interim Award, ICC Case No. 4695, November 1984.
- International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce, Dow Chemical France v. ISOVER SAINT GOBAIN, Interim Award, ICC Case No. 4131, September 23, 1982.
- International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce, Manufacturer D (Germany) v Agent S (Colombia), Final Award, ICC Case No. 9302, 1998.
- International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce, Buyer (Italy) v Seller (Germany), Interim Award, ICC Case No. 9781, 2000.
PART IV: ARTICLES
- Pierre Mayer, The Limits of Severability of the Arbitration Clause in Albert Jan van den Berg (ed), Improving the Efficiency of Arbitration Agreements and Awards: 40 Years of Application of the New York Convention, ICCA Congress Series, 1998 Paris Volume 9 (Kluwer Law International 1999) pp. 261–267.
- George A. Bermann, The "Gateway" Problem in International Commercial Arbitration, 37 Yale J. Int'l L. 1 (2012).
PART V: LEGAL TEXTS
- Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards - the "New York" Convention 1958.
- UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration 1985, with amendments as adopted in 2006.
- United States, US Code, TITLE 9 - ARBITRATION.
- European Convention on International Commercial Arbitration of 1961, done at Geneva, April 21, 1961 United Nations, Treaty Series , vol. 484, p.364 No. 7041 (1963-1964).
- France, French Decree No. 2011-48 of 13 January 2011 reforming the law governing arbitration. English translation by Emmanuel Gaillard, Nanou Leleu-Knobil and Daniela Pellarini of Shearman & Sterling LLP.
- Switzerland, Federal Statute on Private International Law, Translated by Drs. Marc Blessing, Robert Briner, and Pierre A. Karrer, Twelfth Chapter: International Arbitration.
- Unted Kingdom, Arbitration Act 1996.
- Germany, German Arbitration Law 98, Tenth Book of the Code of Civil Procedure Arbitration Procedure, Sections 1025 – 1066.
1. Conditions Precedent to Arbitration
- Jan Paulsson, Jurisdiction and Admissibility, in Global Reflections on International Law, Commerce and Dispute Resolution: Liber Amicorum in honour of Robert Briner, ICC Publishing, Publication 693 (November 2005) (excerpts)
- BG Group Plc. v. Argentina, UNCITRAL, Final Award, 24 December 2007, paras. 140-157
- Argentina v. BG Group, 665 F.3d 1363 (D.C. Cir. 2012)
- Canadian Model FIPA (2003), Article 26
2. Mass claims and consolidation
- Abaclat et al v. Argentine Republic, ICSID Case No. ARB/07/5, Decision on Jurisdiction and Admissibility (4 August 2011), paras. 50-71; 86-91; 233-234; 480-492; 504-551
- Abaclat et al v. Argentine Republic, ICSID Case No. ARB/07/5, Dissenting Opinion, Georges Abi-Saab (28 October 2011), paras. 154-75
- NAFTA Article 1126
- Gonzalo Flores, Introductory Note, Consolidation Proceedings Under NAFTA Article 1126, Corn Products International, Inc. v. United Mexican States, ICSID Case No. ARB(AF)/04/1; Archer Daniels Midland Company and Tate & Lyle Ingredients Americas, Inc. v. United Mexican States, ICSID Case No ARB(AF)/04/5, 21 ICSID Review – Foreign Investment L. J. 361 (2006)
3. State influence over treaty interpretation and tribunal decision-making
- Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties, Article 31
- NAFTA Articles 1128, 1129, 1131, 1132
- NAFTA Notes of Interpretation (31 July 2001)
- Pope & Talbot Inc. v. Government of Canada, UNCITRAL, Award in Respect of Damages (31 May 2002), paras. 20-23; 43-66
- Merrill & Ring v. Canada, UNCITRAL, Award (31 March 2010), paras. 182-213
- Anthea Roberts, Power and Persuasion in Investment Treaty Interpretation, 104 Am. J. Int’l L. 179, 215-225 (2010)
- NAFTA Statement of the Free Trade Commission on non-disputing party participation (7 October 2003)
- Glamis Gold v United States, UNCITRAL, Non-Party Supplemental Submission (Submission of the Quechan Indian Nation) (16 October 2006), pages 1-9
- Andrea K. Bjorklund, The Promise and Peril of Arbitral Precedent: The Case of Amici Curiae, ASA Bulletin Special Series No. 34, at 165 (Anne K. Hoffmann ed., May 2010), pp. 180-87
- UNCITRAL, Report of Working Group II (Arbitration and Conciliation) on the work of its fifty-eight session, A/CN.9/765 (13 February 2013), pp. 5-22
- 1. Introduction: ICSID and Investment Arbitration
- 2. Counterclaims in ICSID Arbitration – the Requirements of the ICSID Convention and Arbitration Rules and their Interpretation in ICSID Awards and Decisions
- 3. The Nationality Requirements under the ICSID Convention – A study of the second clause of Article 25(2)(b) of the ICSID Convention and its Interpretation in ICSID Awards and Decisions.
- ICSID Convention, Regulations and Rules (will be provided during workshop)
- ICSID Caseload – Statistics, Issue 2013-1 (will be provided during workshop)
Textbooks and Commentaries
- Lucy Reed, Jan Paulsson & Nigel Blackaby, Guide To ICSID Arbitration (Kluwer Law International, 2nd ed. 2010).
- Emmanuel Gaillard, La Jurisprudence du CIRDI, Volume 1 (2004) et Volume 2 (2010), (Editions A. Pedone).
- Christoph Schreuer, Loretta Malintoppi, August Reinisch & Anthony Sinclair, The ICSID Convention: A Commentary (Cambridge University Press, 2nd ed. 2009), esp. pp. 731-756
- Official Annotations to the ICSID Rules of Procedure for the Institution of Concilation and Arbitration Proceedings 1968 (Arbitration Rules), ICSID Reports 1, 51
- Walid Ben Hamida, L’arbitrage Etat-investisseur cherche son équilibre perdu: Dans quelle mesure l’Etat peut introduire des demandes reconventionnelles contre l’investisseur privé?, International Law FORUM du droit international, 7: 261–272, 2005
- Andrea K. Bjorklund, The Role of Counterclaims in Rebalancing Investment Law, 17 Lewis & Clark L. Rev. 461 (2013)
- M.N. Bravin and A.B. Kaplan, Arbitrating Closely Related Counterclaims at ICSID in the Wake of Spyridon Roussalis v. Romania, TDM 4 (2012)
- Helene Bubrowski, Balancing IIA Arbitration Through the Use of Counterclaims, in Improving International Investment Agreements 212 (Armand de Mestral & Céline Lévesque eds., 2013)
- J. Crawford, Treaty and Contract in Investment Arbitration, TDM 1 (2009)
- A.K. Hoffmann, Counterclaims by the Respondent State in Investment Arbitration - The Decision on Jurisdiction over Respondent’s Counterclaim in Saluka Investments B.V. v. Czech Republic, TDM 5 (2006)
- Jean E. Kalicki, Counterclaims by States in Investment Arbitration, Investment Treaty News (Jan. 14, 2013),
- Kryvoi, Yaraslau, Counterclaims in Investor-State Arbitration (January 27, 2012). Minnesota Journal of International Law, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp 216-252, 2012.
- Pierre Lalive and Laura Halonen, On the Availability of Counterclaims in Investment Treaty Arbitration, 2 Czech Y.B. Int’l L. 141 (2011)
- Paul Jean Le Cannu, Compagnie d'Exploitation du Chemin de Fer Transgabonais v. Republic of Gabon (ICSID Case No. ARB/04/5): Introductory Note, 26(1) ICSID Rev. – FILJ, 153-172 (2011)
- Anthony C. Sinclair, ICSID’s Nationality Requirements, 23(1) ICSID Rev. – FILJ, 57-118 (2008)
- Martin J. Valasek and Patrick Dumberry, Developments in the Legal Standing of Shareholders and Holding Corporations in Investor-State Disputes, 26(1) ICSID Rev. – FILJ, 34-75 (2011)
- Ana Vohryzek-Griest, State Counterclaims in Investor–State Disputes: A History of 30 Years of Failure, 15 Int’l Law: Revista Colombiana de Derecho Internacional 83 (2009)
- Compagnie d'Exploitation du Chemin de Fer Transgabonais v. Republic of Gabon (ICSID Case No. ARB/04/5), Decision on Jurisdiction of December 19, 2005 and Decision of the ad hoc Committee on the application for annulment of the Republic of Gabon, Case Excerpts, 26(1) ICSID Rev. – FILJ, 173-180, 214-255 (2011)
- Spyridon Roussalis v. Romania (ICSID Case No. ARB/06/1), Award and Separate Opinion of December 7, 2011
- Antoine Goetz and others v. Republic of Burundi (ICSID Case No. ARB/01/2), Award of June 21, 2012
- Burimi SRL and Eagle Games SH.A v. Republic of Albania (ICSID Case No. ARB/11/18), Award of May 29, 2013
- Brooks W. Daly, “The Permanent Court of Arbitration”, in C. Giorgetti (ed.), The Rules, Practice, and Jurisprudence of International Courts and Tribunals”(Martinus Nijhoff Publishers 2012), pp. 37-73
- Thomas Willing Balch, The Alabama Arbitration (Allen, Lane & Scott, 1900)
- Christine Gray and Benedict Kingsbury, “Develepments in Dispute Settlement: Inter-State Arbnitration since 1945” in The British Year Book of International Law 1992 (Oxford University 1993), pp. 79-134.
- Robert Jennings, “The differences between conducting a case in the ICJ and in an Ad Hoc Arbitration Tribunal: An Inside View,” in Liber Amicorum Judge Shigeru Oda Vol 2., at 893 (Nisuke Ando et. al. eds., 2002).
- Final Award of February 24, 2004, Guyana v. Suriname, Permanent Court of Arbitration.
- Final Award of July 22, 2009, Abyei Arbitration, Permanent Court of Arbitration.
- Brooks W. Daly, “The Abyei Arbitration: Procedural Aspects of an Intra-State Border Arbitration,” in Leiden Journal of International Law, Vol. 23, Issue 4, at 801 (2010).
- Reasoned Decision on Challenge to H.E. Judge Sir Christopher Greenwood, The Republic of Mauritius v. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- Request for Arbitration of the Republic of Ecuador of June 28, 2011, The Republic of Ecuador v. The United States of America, Permanent Court of Arbitration.
Reference and Further Background Reading
- International Bar Association Rules on the Taking of Evidence in International Arbitration (2010)
- Permanent Court of Arbitration Optional Rules for Arbitration between Two States (1992)
- PCA Arbitration Rules 2012
- International Bar Association Guidelines on the Conflicts of Interest in International Arbitration (2004)
- UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules, G.A. Res. 31/98, U.N. Doc. A/RES/31/98 (Dec. 15, 1976) (1976 UNCITRAL Rules)
- UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules, G.A. Res. 65/22, Art. 26, U.N. Doc. A/RES/65/22 (Dec. 6, 2010) (2010 UNCITRAL Rules)
- Arbitration Agreement between The Government of Sudan and The Sudan People’s Liberation Movement / Army on Delimiting Abyei Area
- William E. McDonald “The Pious Fund of the Californias” in The Catholic Historical Review, Vol. 19, No. 4 (Jan., 1934), pp. 427-436
- P. Hamilton, H.C. Requena, L van Scheltinga & B. Shifman, eds., The Permanent Court of Arbitration: International Arbitration and Dispute Resolution: Summaries of Awards, Settlement Agreements and Reports (Kluwer Law International, 1999)
- Belinda Macmahon & Fedelma Claire Smith, eds., Permanent Court of Arbitration Summaries of Awards 1999-2009 (TMC Asser Press, 2010)
- Shabtai Rosenne, The Hague Peace Conferences of 1899 and 1907 and International Arbitration: Reports and Documents (T.M.C. Asser Press, 2001)
- Brooks W. Daly, “The Permanent Court of Arbitration in Indian Treaties: Its Role, Potential Procedural Problems, and Drafting Solutions” in The Indian Journal of International Law: A Quarterly, Vol. 47, Issue 3, at 359.
Deputy Secretary General José Ricardo Feris (short bio) | Workshop 3 – ICC Arbitration practice: ICC International Court of Arbitration
- The Arbitral Tribunal: Applications of Articles 7-12 of the ICC Rules in Recent Cases, J. Fry and S. Greenberg (ICC Intnl Court of Arbitration Bulletin, vol 20/2, 2009)
- Consolidation, joinder, cross-claims, multiparty and multicontract arbitrations: recent ICC experience, S. Greenberg, J. R. Feris and C. Albanesi (Dossier VII, Multiparty arbitration, ICC Publication n° 701, 2010)
- The ICC Court: a behind the scenes look, J. Kirby (ICC Intnl Court of Arbitration Bulletin, vol 16/2, 2005)
- Drafting awards in ICC arbitrations, H. Lloyd et al. (ICC Intnl Court of Arbitration Bulletin, vol 16/2, 2005)
- Avax v Tecnimont
- BKMI Industrien Lagen & Siemens v Dutco construction
- Caribbean Niquel v Overseas Mining Investments Ltd
- Dallah Estate v Government of Pakistan
- Cour d'appel de Paris (with English translation), 17 Feb 2011
- Supreme court, UK, 3 Nov 2010
- Court of appeal, UK, 20 July 2009
- Global Gold Mining v Robinson & others